Viruses, Malware,or Popup Ads?
IMPORTANT NOTE: read the paragraph with each tool listing below. I tell you important information about each tool, AND what to click on to download it. Some of the sites have ads that say “download” that will lead you to the wrong place… follow my directions!
Start with #2 (MalwareBytes) below, but you may need #1 (rkill) to get control before you can use MalwareBytes. Then, make sure you have a good anti-virus program installed and a subscription to keep it updated.
Recommended Anti-Virus Software
- Webroot: I recommend Webroot SecureAnywhere™ AntiVirus, even with any anti-virus software, you will need to occasionally use MalwareBytes (#2 below) as well.
Virus, Spyware, and Adware removal Tools
- rkill: Use to stop all running processes that may be problematic so you can get control of the PC back and remove the malware. You may have to run multiple times. You may have to copy it to a folder and put a shortcut on the desktop and then run it, all over the course of multiple restarts – because some malware locks up the PC soon after rebooting… once you get a shortcut to it so that you can run it as soon as you restart, you can start to get control of the PC back. NOTE: sometimes you will need to change the name to something besides RKill as some (a lot of) viruses look for it…
- rkill from author’s site (use the one of the 3 GREEN download button on the page that opens).
- MalwareBytes Anti-Virus tool: A great scanner to find malware/adware. This is a free tool that I’ve found will remove 99% of problems. Run it, then deleted what it finds. This is the free version… there is a paid version. You can leave this free tool installed along with other anti-virus software (their paid version does real-time, this version does not), just be sure you update the defs before running. Sometimes I have to use the quick scan (after running rkill and TDS KIller) to get control back… then follow up with full scans with Malwarebytes and possibly Kaspersky as well.
- MalwareBytes Anti-Virus / Malware Tool from author’s site (scroll down about 3/4 way to bottom of the page that opens and click the “Free Download” link. At the end of the installation, do not select “enable free trial”).
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus / Malware Tool: This is a free tool that I’ve found will remove 99% of problems – It’s the first thing I use (after rkill above to get control if needed). This tool must be re-downloaded to get a current version. It uninstalls itself when done (but will remain installed through reboots that are required to removed things). They have a paid anti-virus tool that they promote, and the software asks if you want to do a free trail, you don’t have to, just run the free tool. NOTE: you must click on the little gear icon to configure what drives to scan and to enable auto delete of found items.
- Kaspersky Anti-Virus / Malware Tool from author’s site: (click the the GREEN button on the page that opens, then on the next page, click the GREEN button that says “alternative download”… then when installing, skip the flagship product installation… )
- Tweaking.Com Tool Kit: Tweaking.com – Free Windows Repair is a tool designed help fix a large majority of known Windows problems including; registry errors, file permissions, issues with Internet Explorer, Windows Updates, Windows Firewall and more. Malware and poorly installed programs can modify your default settings resulting in your machine working badly – or worse. With Tweaking.com Windows Repair you can restore Windows original settings fixing many of these problems outright.Try to run in safe mode – it works better… just work your way across the tabs and follow the instructions.
- Tweaking.com Windows Repair from author’s site Click ORANGE button that says “DIRECT DOWNLOAD”
- Wise Registry Cleaner: Will repair and optimize the registry…
- Wise Registry Cleaner Scroll down to Wise Registry Cleaner and click the GREEN “Free Download” button
- Kaspersky TDS Killer: Finds and removes rootkits. I sometimes have to use TDS killer in safe mode (after running rkill) to make any progress.
- Kaspersky TDS Killer from author’s site This page lists several useful utilities from Kaspersky.
- Kaspersky Rescue Disk Utility: This will create a bootable CD/DVD/Flash that can scan and disinfect the PC when you can’t get control any other way… very useful.
- Kaspersky Rescue Disk Utility Click on Green button that says “Distributive” to download…